Sunday, September 04, 2011

Best. Cookies. Ever.

A few weeks ago, I was craving something sweet. We had frozen bananas in the fridge, and a ton of peanut butter, and so I was looking for a cookie recipe that would use those two ingredients. My friend Google led me to this recipe, and we have since become obsessed. And made a few of our friends obsessed.

Even better? No butter. No oil. No eggs. No flour. They're gluten-free, vegan cookies, and they last about five seconds in our house. Somehow thinking they're "healthier" makes us feel free to eat five at a time...

I'm putting the recipe up here because I am terrified the website I found it on will delete it. Plus I've tweaked the execution a bit...

Oatmeal Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup peanut butter (sometimes we use crunchy, sometimes creamy. I think I actually like creamy better, because the peanut chunks seem to add a little bit too much texture; there's already plenty from the oatmeal)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 bananas, mashed (or if they're frozen, pop them in the microwave for about 15 seconds, flip, and then 15 seconds, and then just squeeze the banana out of the skin!)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk chocolate chips (a generous cup... we like chocolate in these...)

Preheat the oven to 350. Combine all the ingredients in a big mixing bowl. Make golf ball sized rounds and place evenly on a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely before removing from the sheet - they are pretty brownie-like and will fall apart if you don't! Pour a big glass of milk and enjoy, and try to keep some until the next day. Just try...

This makes approximately one dozen generously-sized cookies.

(Give credit where credit is due...)

2 comments:

Johnson Family said...

yummy... just made them without chocolate chips b/c we didn't have any on hand and they're still good even without chocolate. Thanks for posting :-)

Portia said...

So glad you liked them!! :)