Thursday, May 26, 2011

Leaving Home

Some days it's just so hard to leave my house for work. Today, for instance. I had a dentist appointment for fillings at 8:45 so I had to go in late and my family had fully started their day by the time I was actually leaving for work.

As I was standing at the top of the stairs that lead down to our front door, Eden asked for an extra hug and a kiss. I complied, of course, and then she ran back into the living room and
I stood there surveying the scene. Bryan had started some music (Eden's favorite, according to him: Pete Yorn). Eden was twirling and dancing in a sweet purple gauzy summer dress. Bryan was sitting on the floor in front of the couch with Leah sitting on his lap, and they were both watching Eden twirl and smiling with their whole faces, dimples and everything (I couldn't see Bryan's, of course, because of the facial hair, but I knew they were in full force!) The windows were open, a soft breeze and sweet sunshine flowing in with the warm, 72-degree air.

It was such a perfect scene. I wanted nothing more in that moment than to freeze time, or to pretend it was Saturday and join the dance party with these three people I love more than i think my heart can even stand. My eyes filled up and it broke my heart but I turned around, choked out an "I love you guys! Be good!" and walked out.

No comments: