Thursday, October 29, 2009

Scar Management

Miss Eden's healing process is going very well. We went to the hospital last Tuesday and they said that her wound is healed! Yay!! So we've moved from wound care to scar management. That is all very good news.

However, I don't think we knew what we were in for with "scar management." They told us it means massaging her scars for at least 5 minutes at a time, twice a day. Doesn't sound so bad, right? Well... Eden hates it. The forearms she can deal with - not really a big deal, though it makes her a little nervous. But head toward her palms and she fights and cries, kicks and screams and yanks her hands away. Tuesday evening I did it by myself (after being told by the OT that we needed to massage harder or her scars would start to really be thick and unmanageable) and that resulted in both of us sobbing and holding each other at the end.

Bryan, the next morning, when he had the job to himself, came up with a brilliant idea: distraction. And what better distraction than a boy band for preschoolers?

Oh, the Wiggles. Yes, she does still hate the palm massage, and yes, she does still kick and scream, but less so... and she calms down ever so easily - and honestly, so do I - with their happy songs and colorful videos playing! (It helps, I think, that she is normally not allowed to watch TV - it's weird that she's so mesmerized, but we're glad!) Thank you Zek for sending the video!

1 comment:

LEO said...

I'm glad you found a way to make it easier! So happy to hear your little girl is healing.