We're returning... to London!!!
We leave a week from Friday on an overnight flight to London, with a layover in Iceland just long enough to see some stuff. I'm so excited! We're going with J&K, too... and J's brother and his wife and baby will meet us there.
We've rented a flat near Notting Hill, and for eight days we'll be walking streets we've walked before in another lifetime. (If you're only recently following my blog and never followed the old one (Warning: it's livejournal, and archives are impossible to navigate... one reason I switched... but you can click "Calendar" and find your way there), you might not know Bryan and I studied abroad in England in 2004... that's when I started blogging - five years ago. Crazy.) Anyway, it's going to be a trip down memory lane, but we're going to try to experience it fresh - and it will be fresh because it's been 5 years since we've been there, and we're returning with great friends who've never been there, and our daughter who's never been there.
Bryan's really excited because his favorite soccer team is paying John's favorite soccer team in London while we're there!! He's trying really hard to get tickets. We'll see... I hope he does - it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
We're a little nervous about how Eden will react to the 5-hour time difference. Our plan is to (1) have low expectations about what we'll get to do/how she'll react; (2) try to change her schedule, at least a little bit, so she's not partying all night long; but (3) listen to our baby above all - let her be our guide about what she needs. Having the flat will help, because we can return and rest whenever we need to, and hopefully we can mitigate the noise at night at least somewhat (we were planning to share a hotel room - ouch). We're also taking a backpack for her to ride in (so she can sleep). Anyone done this before? Tips?
In any event, I'm just excited for the sights, the smells, the people, the experience. And the break, honestly. It's been awhile since we've had a vacation vacation, and we're both really excited. Work has been pretty crazy this month, but that's another post for another day... Right now I just want to be excited about what's ahead... As Ellen N. would say, only 11 more "sleeps!"
4 comments:
wow! London? you used to live there? so awesome. I've never been but I've always wanted to visit. So much to look forward to!
That is wonderful, Katie! I was only in London for a week, but I loved it and I could very easily live there. I know you two have a special bond there and how great to be able to go back. Enjoy!
Love, Dupy
P.S. I had to do the Anonymous to get this to go. Is that what I am supposed to do?
SO fun! Enjoy every minute of your vacation-vacation!
Good luck with adjusting Eden's schedule too! Not sure how relevant it is since Timmy was 3 months old and didn't have a very strict sleep schedule at the time, but when we flew to NY he kind of adjusted his schedule on his own because he slept for so much of the plane ride. At least if she's up at night you're on vacation and can sleep in after that :)
I'm jealous! take me with you! We miss living there!
Post a Comment