Monday, January 19, 2009

Seven Months

Dear Precious Baby Girl,

We are on the downward slope of the first year and it hardly seems possible. It seems like yesterday you were a tiny newborn who stared at everything but interacted with nothing. And now you're always busy, always moving (unless you're sleeping). Maybe the more surprising thing is that I love it. I love watching you discover new things, like how to pick up little bits of food with your thumb and forefinger. You concentrate so hard while you're doing it - I can almost see the wheels turning!!

This month we celebrated your first Christmas. It was really amazing. We had a very low-key day, and we talked a lot about what Christmas really is all about. It was great for all three of us. We also rang in 2009 together. We were all here at home, and you even woke up about ten minutes before 2009 began, so I got you up and you celebrated with us. There were kisses all around - it was great.

After the new year began we went back to Oklahoma to visit family. And you were awesome. Despite the fact that you've begun to get a bit of stranger anxiety, you let everyone hold you and pass you around. You did tend to get a little upset if you couldn't see Mommy and Daddy, but that was OK because we were with you the whole time. You got upset when Daddy held your cousin Noah - that made Daddy feel pretty good.

While we were in Oklahoma, at Uncle Jason & Aunt Gena's house, you finally figured out how to sit up by yourself. You were on your tummy one minute, and the next you were sitting up! We were so proud of you!!! You showed everyone how you could roll around on the floor and get anywhere you wanted to go, and then when we got home you started to really crawl. You'll take a few normal "steps" and then it's on your belly for the army crawl.

I can't believe you're mobile. I knew this day would come but I still can't believe that you're the same baby who didn't know how to grasp a toy. And now you're crawling everywhere. Baby proofing began in full force as soon as we returned from Oklahoma.

Your laugh is so contagious. And it is so easy to make you laugh, too; we love it when you really get going. All it takes is a little tickling your belly with my nose and you're off. Add a little snorting and you're practically rolling. I love it.

You've started really loving your little lamb blanket, Lucy. Yesterday you were upset because you woke up prematurely from your nap (you don't like anything getting in the way of your sleep...) because you were congested. I cleaned out your nose (which you hate) and then started rocking you to calm you down. You calmed down most of the way, but when I handed Lucy to you, you immediately relaxed completely. I laid you in your crib and by the time I got out the door you were asleep. Amazing.

Well, Little Missy Moo, I could fill volumes trying to explain how amazing you are, describing all of the little adorable things you do. I really do think you are the most amazing thing I have ever seen, and I can't believe I have the good fortune to be your mother. I love you more than words can ever say, more than I ever thought I could. I hope you keep growing big and strong, but I hope you keep coming back to me for kisses. I love you baby girl.

Love,

Mommy

2 comments:

CP said...

she looks so sweet in this picture- it must be amazing to watch her learning to be independent in some ways!

LEO said...

You write the sweetest letters to her, I hope she gets to read them all some day! She gets cuter with every picture.